I think it might actually be worse to work in a job that has nothing to do with your future career whatsoever than no job. Especially when said job is a warehouse that has a chart on the inside of every bathroom stall with varying shades of yellow and a color key describing how hydrated you are.
While I don't wish to disclose my actual employer, I will give a description of my job. There are big carts that have books on them in little separated labeled cubbies. These cubbies correspond to sheets of paper that are packing slips for orders. My job is to take the books off the carts (someone else in another position puts them in the cart), scan them, then stick them on a particular piece of cardboard depending on the order size and then stick the packing slip on top and place it on a conveyor. I'm expected to do this with at least 300 books an hour, and if I don't continue that rate, I'll be fired. So for 10 hours, this is what I do. I stand in one spot until I'm done with my cart, and then I wheel it back to the place where empty carts go, get another full cart, and do it all over again. Occasionally I restock my little bin of cardboard things when I run out. 2 breaks and a lunch. But I work a full 9.5 hours even if we take those out.
I'm studying to be a nurse. I'm not even allowed to perform first aid at my place of employment. If someone falls down on the ground in front of me, I'm supposed to tell my manager instead of rushing to help them. Forget CPR - they'd probably roll me out the door before I got through three chest compressions. Sometimes it feels like I'm part of a herd of animals being moved around in that place. For my education level and clinical experience, it's beyond demeaning to work there.
This isn't to say that I feel like everyone who works there is an idiot or anything like that at all. After all, my boyfriend has worked in factories and warehouses since he was 18 practically. He's extremely intelligent, and he busts his ass and he works hard. But...this isn't for me. The noise from all the machines is so loud that talking when you really need to is borderline impossible, let alone have a conversation. The break room is so creepy because there is so much turnover that hardly anyone gets to know each other before they quit, resign or get fired. I am definitely one of the displaced, eating my lunch at a table alone. Not that I am really my happy cheery self, the kind that people normally flock to and get to know at a job. You can tell that for many people there, like myself, this was the last option. Literally. And even though I am miserable, I am still so thankful for having income again.
But...that's not the worst of it.
Remember when I said that I stack books all day? The books are the worst part of the whole job. Today I came across a grouping that absolutely broke my heart, so much so that I had to keep myself from bursting out in tears. There were six or so books in the order, and all of them had to do with being a divorced father. One was about staying in your child's life despite the split, another was a children's book about daddy still loving you. It hurt me so much to see that combination. It was like looking at some poor man's life right in front of me and how he was trying to solve his problems.
But it doesn't stop there. Our clientele really likes self-help books. As a result, I'm constantly being bombarded with reminders of my own issues and problems. I scanned in at least 20 orders today with books about Aspergers. I can't even remember how many diet/exercise books and DVD workout videos I came across. More religious books than I thought were possible definitely exist. Politics is definitely a big seller, and for some reason Barbara Bush is extremely popular. Sex issues, relationship issues, marriage issues, all of them. If you think you have a really cool idea for a book, I wouldn't bother. Literally I've seen everything. And this includes the "99 Boobies" paired with "99 Vaginas" book.
Even when they aren't self-help books, it stings. I get reminded every time I'm at work that I'm studying to be a nurse but do not have a medical job at the moment because NCLEX review guides, anatomy coloring books, microbiology texts and drug books are constantly shuffling through my hands.
In a way, like I said earlier, I'm very glad to have a job finally. I was so depressed just sitting around the house all the time. But at the same time, I'm definitely not happy. I know I sound like a selfish bitch, but I can't help but feel like I deserve better than this given what I have under my belt.
*deep breath* It's only for the summer. Remember. Only for the summer.
That's right girl, its only for summer. If you need to just count down the days. You can do this :)
ReplyDeleteAngel in Disguise;)
I've been a bad slacker about reading, but boy, do I ever know how you feel. Hang in there. We'll be laughing away the shit in a few short weeks and celebrating the small good things that happen in the middle of too many bad days. <3
ReplyDelete-Kate