Tonight was a good night.
We went out to this little Mexican restaurant tonight called Mi Pequena Hacienda in order to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. At first I was worried because it was going to be me, A, M and her new boyfriend, W. We picked up W because he was concerned about there being a sober driver and then got M from school. The conversation was easy.
When we arrived at Hacienda, the music was pumping outside the restaurant. Swarms of people were hanging around outside, drinks in hand and smiles on their faces, watching others dance around the tent. Some danced drunkenly, others danced with purpose. After we were seated, W immediately ordered two pitchers of margaritas, which pleased me and M immensely. The three of us clinked glasses while A waited for his Negro Modelo to arrive to the table. Best margarita I've had in awhile.
About half an hour into dinner, H and her boyfriend B decided to join us. By that time me and M were already pretty sloshed and we were on our third pitcher of margaritas. We shared inside jokes, we laughed, the boys laughed. They find us so amusing when we drink. We all took a trip to the bathroom together, where of course me and M shared a stall like we always do.
We went out to the dance floor.
We danced.
It felt so good to just let loose, to feel the rhythm engulf my body. I let it move me wherever it decided to move me. As I looked around, I noticed people watching me and M dance. We're always so fun to watch, because we have no physical boundaries. We can touch and spin and dip each other. She can bend backward and I can crawl on top and booty shake. We can salsa dance our way around the floor. We laugh and giggle and cry out the lyrics to the song. Tonight, it was all in Spanish, so we didn't know the words to any of the songs, but that didn't matter.
I love her in a way that I've never loved anyone else. If I was any closer to her, we'd be blood.
Then, as our respective boyfriends drug us away from the dance floor and out toward the car, we refused to let our dancing stop there. We grabbed each other in the parking lot, our voices raising high into the night sky as we continued to mesh them in drunken squeals. The world flickered in alternating light and dark as I spun in circles, my feet staggering under the weight of a girl who has had just a little too much to stay in control. I felt A pull me close, plant kisses on my lips, my mouth separating and feeling his tongue massage my own. In those moments, I glanced out of the corner of my eye at M, watching her do the same thing with W. Both of us sitting on my car, both of us getting action. Both of us happy. But like all good nights, it must come to an end.
A sat in the drivers' seat, and I in the passengers', with M & W in the back. We drove into the night air blasting Lady Gaga, me and M yelling the lyrics at the top of our lungs. "This reminds me of Florida!" I yelled, turning up a song.
Our hair is perfect
While we're all getting shit wrecked
It's automatic, honey
But we got no money
Daddy I'm so sorry, I'm so s-s-sorry yeah
We just like to party, like to p-p-party yeah
Bang bang, we're beautiful and dirty rich
Bang bang, we're beautiful and dirty rich
I'm happy. But sometimes I worry that it's always temporary, always fleeting.
As long as I have A by my right side, and M by my left, I don't think I'll ever be truly lost. There will just be days that I have misplaced myself. I have faith that they will always come looking for me, even if no one else will. And that...well quite frankly that's enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment