While I don't believe in Feng Shui in any dedicated sense, I do have an interest in it the same way I do Astrology. More times than not, I find the descriptions and explanations for my particular birthdate to be accurate. Because of the move and just feeling a bit more spiritual lately, I have been doing my fair share of Googling to figure out more about it.
Tonight I found out that it is more complex than you could imagine. Not only does your bed have to face in a certain direction, your ideal direction depends on something called a Kua number, so it's not as cut and dry as stating "Face East". Also, different websites say different things, so in the course of all of my research I have found a large amount of inconsistencies.
My Kua Number:
You belong to the West Group and your Kua Number is 2.
You are born under the year of KUN trigram with Kua Number 2 with the element as Earth. You are under the element of Earth which means that you are likely to be traditionalist. You are conservative, stable and when comes to work, you tend to be thorough before making the final decision. You stand out to be the most loyal & self-sacrificing as compared with the rest of the Kua Numbers. Your motto is other comes first before you. You can be classified under two categories: Soft Earth (Soil) / Hard Earth (Mountain). Being a strong-minded person, you tend to be stubborn and do not budge easily. You can either be the best friend or deadly foe to others.
What I find most interesting about this is how absolutely true it is in describing me. I often have trouble explaining to others the dichotomy that exists within me. While I attempt to view the world in shades of gray, oftentimes I fall into the trap of black and white thinking. If you love me, I probably love you harder. If you hate me, I hate you even more. If you're indifferent to me, you probably don't exist on my radar. I'm also a creative person, which means that I have that duality of being extremely sweet, but also very sneaky. I don't like to half-ass my feelings at all. The traditionalist idea is something I have balked at for years, but I guess when it comes down to it I am still very much wanting a husband, a house, a kid and the white picket fence - just not until I have experienced what I want to experience in my 20's.
I am prone to categorizing people and situations to understand them better, which while extremely helpful for disease processes and nursing, can be detrimental to me intrapersonal relationships. I have a problem agreeing with the sentiment that I am the most loyal and self-sacrificing, but I do see myself being someone that oftentimes will take on a heavier burden to ease the one someone else is holding. I tend to try to please others before myself when it comes to work and school especially.
As far as being strong-minded and stubborn, all I can say about that one is LOL. It seems like whenever I read some type of description of myself, it includes these words if nothing else. It's a common link and a recurring theme in my character, that's for damn sure.
A's Kua Number:
You belong to the West Group and your Kua Number is 8.
You are born under the year of KEN trigram with Kua Number 8 with the element as Earth. You are softer than Kua 2 earth element and considered as a nurturer. You are born to be a down-to-earth and practical person thus making you very reliable to friends and partner. Being supportive and having a good nature, you are able to get along with everyone. You prefer to do things with your hands than using your mind to think.
This is so true of A. It makes me realize how great of a guy he really is, and how lucky I am to have him. He is my rock and he definitely "nurtures" me. While I felt like the last line sounded insulting at first, the more I thought about it, the more I could see it applied to him. A is the kind of person that likes to get his hands dirty. He doesn't need a to-do list or spend an hour thinking about the best way to do something. He normally will jump right into the task and do it rather than planning out the details. This tends to drive me crazy, as I am the complete opposite when it comes to that.
I found it extremely interesting that we both are "west" AND "earth" individuals. This means that all of the directions that work for me in a positive way also work for him in a positive way, just in a different aspect. For example, when facing West, it's supposed to bring me good health while creating harmonious relationships for A. I've often thought that we are like two shoppers in opposite sides of the mall. We're at the same location technically, but we aren't looking in the same stores...if that makes any sense. Thinking about how we have all of the same positive directionals but for different things is interesting because we do seem to run in cycles. Often when I have money, he has none and vice-versa. Then when he has a lot of success at work, I tend to not. When my social life is booming, he rarely goes out. Etc, etc.
I definitely want to do more research into it. The coolest part that I've found so far is that everything I read does have one common thread: don't make Feng Shui your life, don't get bogged down in the directionals and focus on clearing the clutter. I'm going to work on the latter this week, considering that I just moved and am now surrounded by unpacked boxes and scattered items in my new townhouse.
What website did you use for this stuff? Now I'm curious! :D
ReplyDelete-Kate
http://www.about-fengshui.info/kuacalc.html
ReplyDelete^^ This link specifically is where I took my quoted descriptions used in the blog.
Some of the other sites I used:
http://www.henryfong.com/kua.htm
http://fengshui.about.com/od/mainconcepts/qt/fengshuikua.htm
http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuiforhome/qt/bed_placement.htm
http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuicures/a/lucky_feng_shui.htm
http://www.absolutelyfengshui.com/fengshui/feng-shui-bed-placement.php
http://www.thespiritualfengshui.com/feng-shui-bedroom.php
http://www.fengshuiweb.co.uk/advice/bedroom.htm
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/147044/feng_shui_in_bed.html?cat=5
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/applying-feng-shui-principles-to-your-bed.html
I don't know if all of them are good, I just looked through my history and copy/pasted. I would recommend picking up a book on it if you wanted to get a comprehensive look without searching your head off.
Good idea for me to give my sources credit next time I think. :D