Friday, April 23, 2010

ER day in a nutshell

Watched anxiously while they did chest compressions, then solemnly wheeled her cold body out of the room.  Never the same.

Anxiety Level: 7
Pain Level: 10
Love Myself Level: 8

She was so young.  Her face was a sickly shade of brown and purple.  Everyone who knew and loved her was crying.  For the first time in a long time, I mourned the death of someone without shedding a tear...at least not until I got into my car.  That's when the tears ran hot and heavy and I sobbed.

She was the first dead person I ever saw close up.  I don't think I'll ever forget her face, or the way she laid so stiff, or the way her friends and family cried out in agony, their voices ricocheting off the walls of her small ER room.




I plan on expanding tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy after working 11a-11p, but I feel like I will forget it if I don't write it down, so...
- Did three blood draws
- Started a 20 gauge IV (for real this time!!!)
- Did 2 IM injections in the deltoid muscle (1 tetanus, 1 Tdap)
- Attempted a Foley catheter
- Attempted an NG tube
- Assisted in MRI/XRAY stuff all day
- Did more patient movements than I can even remember
- Saw a live traction procedure
- Saw a live cast making procedure
- Learned that I am good enough to do this shit

No comments:

Post a Comment