Saturday, April 10, 2010

Thursday, April 8, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

How can I sum up a clinical day as amazing as this one in 20 words? I won't even try.

Anxiety Level: 5
Pain Level: 5
Love Myself Level: 20382 (yes, I can do this)

I just got home and I want to reflect. Today I...

- Gave at least 20 PO meds
- Gave subcutaneous injections
- Gave a vaccine via an IM injection- my first real IM injection! I know If you don't work in healthcare you wouldn't know this, but IM injections aren't very commonplace these days because of IV drug therapy being so effective. So I was SUPER excited to give the first IM injection in my group. I darted his deltoid like I was stabbing a piece of meat and he didn't even flinch!
- Attempted to start my first real patient IV, but I got too excited when I saw the blood return and advanced the needle too far, blowing the vein. However, my instructor said my technique was otherwise perfect, that I had gotten into the vein and if I hadn't blown it, it would have been a great stick.
- Assisted in dumping a Hemovac, and changing the dressing for a Woundvac over a wound from a huge ass hernia that was in-between two JP drains. Dude had bad ascites and his skin was literally yellow (he had cirrhosis), thus the need for all the draining of fluids. The weirdest part was when the doctor put the suction on the Woundvac and the spongey area basically sunk down into the wound like it was being sucked inside his body. It. was. gnarly.
- Disconnected a Dobhoff (basically a thin nasogastric tube) via the nose
- Got to do a nasal swab for MRSA which consists of jamming these two long cotton swabs attached to a cap holding them together at one end up either side of the patient's nostrils and wiggling it around - it was cool!
- Had no red medications at any time!
- Got all of my documentation done like WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM

...I'm a nurse. And I can't tell you how much I love everything I get to do, and the people I get to see, and the absolutely amazing things we can do to manipulate and control disease processes in the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment